Once again this is a Fizzified recipe when means there’s really no measurements to work with. Cook as much as you need to make the servings you want at the consistency you want. I like mine a bit thicker with a LOT of cheese so I’ll use less liquid and more cheese. Stir and taste, that’s how it works in my kitchen.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chicken broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Shredded cheese your preference
- Start by cooking the broccoli in chicken broth. (I tend to use soup base to get the flavor strength I want.) This does two things for your soup. A. It adds additional flavor to the broccoli and B. it provides additional liquid to flavor the final soup.
- Once the broccoli is thoroughly cooked you want to basically mash it up. I’ve been known to run it through the blender with some of the leftover broth so that it doesn’t clump up.
- In your pot create a roux with some of the broth, flour and a bit of the cream. Mix in some of the cheese until it is melty. Add in the broccoli, remaining cream, remaining cheese and broth as needed to maintain your preferred consistency. Remember that as the cheese melts and the creams heats it will thicken.
- Simmer on low until the cheese is thoroughly melted and blended into the soup.