I discovered this recipe while reading ‘The Celebration‘ and came across it again in ‘Amish Cooking Class Cookbook‘ so I knew I had to make it. It’s a fun surprise for the Minions and a delicious snack for myself. I chose to mix it up a bit though as grape jelly is not a go to for me so I don’t usually have any on hand. And Moo Moo is allergic to strawberry so we get creative around here. She’s discovered a love for Apply Jelly. I chose to use Strawberry Preserves (for me) and Apple Jelly to fill my muffins. The pictures are toast so I apologize for that. My kitchen does not like to give me shadow free pictures and my phone can swear to have the best camera on the market but it doesn’t account for user error which always leaves my pictures blurred. The muffins though … delicious!
An everyday muffin with a jelly surprise hidden inside.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Strawberry or blueberry jam (I used preserves and Apple, choose what you prefer)
- Grease bottom of 12 muffin cups or use paper baking cups. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs with fork. Sir in milk and oil. Blend flour and other dry ingredients until mixture is moistened. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Fill muffin cups half full of batter. Drop scant teaspoonful of jam in center of batter on each muffin cup. Add more batter to fill cup so it’s two-thirds full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Muffins will have gently rounded and pebbled stops.Loosen from pan immediately and remove with spatula.
- Serve warm or cold. Makes 12 medium muffins. Discovering the jelly inside the baked muffin is the surprise.